Troubleshooting touchscreen && hal

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 17 12:41:50 UTC 2009

----- "Xandros Pilosa" <folivora.pilosa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dne 12.11.2009 (čet) ob 11:37 +0000 je Nasa zapisal(a):
> <snip>
>
> > Thanks again for taking the time,
>
> You are welcome, I'm just sorry for not being of much help.
> >
> > I reduced the "info.product" key to just "eGalax" which didn't
> result in any
> > changes.  I was wondering if there is any way to monitor what hal is
> matching/parsing?
>
> lshal, hal-find-by-property, hal-find-by-capability and other tools
> from
> "man lshal" could be what you are looking for.
> Just quick example I can think of without diving to much into hal
> waters
> for finding hal device udi:
>
> hal-find-by-capability --capability input
> to find device udi
> an then:
> lshal -u /wathever/the/relevant/output/for/eGalax/from
> previous/command
>
> or from[1]
> $ UDI=$(hal-find-by-capability --capability input.mouse)
> $ lshal -u $UDI
>
> and look for what input.x11_driver key shows.
>
> You may find useful to install gnome-device-manager (universe repo.),
> if you prefer gui.
> (When in program, check if View--> Device Properties is selected as it
> was not by default in Hardy version)
>

> >  I was wondering if there is any way to monitor what hal is
> matching/parsing?
> > I would love to verify that hal is reading the .fdi file (which I
> have in only 1 place).
> > BTW: looking at syslog, messages, etc -- doesn't report anything
> about this problem.
>
> To stop and restart hald in verbose mode you can check man hald
> or from [2]:
> <quote>
> To get detailed information on your logs, ask hald to be verbose
> changing your /etc/conf.d/hald:
> HALD_VERBOSE="yes"
> </quote>
>
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Nasa
> >
> > Oh, if there are any other troubleshooting methods I am missing -- I
> am open to any suggestions!
>
> I am out of ideas, but I would certainly like to know the solution, so
> if you find one, please do post it here.
>
> Regards
> [1] http://blogs.gnome.org/juanje/tag/egalax/
> [2] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HAL

Well,

I finally did a complete purge of the evtouch package (which includes the 50-eGalax.fdi
file) and reinstalled it -- hal now reacts to this file.  Now to work on calibration,
the calibration app works but on reboot the evtouch settings are lost.  Actually, not
lost -- just not set when GDM starts up.  If I run the evtouch script in the /etc/init.d/
folder and restart the X server the calibration settings work.

I'll get this thing working yet...

Nasa