Need help trouble-shooting boot mess.

David Armour d.f.armour at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 17 06:31:22 UTC 2009

NoOp <glgxg <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On 11/15/2009 04:44 PM, David Armour wrote:
> > ...the boot up screen where you use the arrow keys to select
> > 'recovery' mode doesn't produce any response to key pressing! Booting
> > progresses normally otherwise, and once I've logged in
> > everything looks and acts much as it has for a number of years now...[1]
>
> This sounds very similar to a problem that I had last year. I set up a
> dual-boot on an old (very old) eMachine for a friend's housekeeper. She
> had a Dell usb keyboard, and I could not use the keyboard for Grub. It
> would work fine in BIOS, and once booted, but not for Grub. I dug out
> the email that I sent to them to fix this, you might try the same:
<snip>
> > 3. Look for a USB Keyboard setting in the BIOS menus and if available
> > select so that it does not depend on the OS. I forget what the exact
> > menu is, but if you poke in around BIOS you should be able to find it.
> > Don't change anything else, only the USB keyboard setting!. Save and

I think the recently-solved problem with the keyboard on my second machine may
have blinded me to the possibility that the keyboard on this machine might also
have headed south for the winter! It's a bit younger, I think, although I don't
actually remember how I got it now, which suggests that it's older than I tend
to think of it as. Currently, this house could qualify as a home for aging
computers; my wife's power supply seems to have kicked the bucket this evening!
Threes, right?

Thanks v. much for your help.