9.10 is a black eye for Ubuntu - suggestion for the future

Mark C. Miller mr.mcmiller at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 22:18:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:50:10 +0100, Aleks A.-Lessmann wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:18:10 +0000, Avi Greenbury
> <avismailinglistaccount at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>They had a reasonable go at this with Dell
>
> No they hadn't, as Dell just installed Ubuntu on their machines without
> ever caring if Ubuntu worked right on them.
>
> Now, while Ubuntu is a great distro, the Dells it's was delivered on
> last year at least were crap and not worth the money.
>
> I should know, I bought one. Meanwhile, Ubuntu and the Dell Notebook get
> along well - but it took them at least half a year. I don't think
> Canonical is at fault for it, but Dell.
>
> Regards
> Aleks

If you want a system that comes out of the box ready to go with Ubuntu
installed (even that pesky wireless on note/net books is solved), go to
system76.  I have one of their netbooks (the Starling), and it's
fantastic.  They have a full line of computers, and the only OS they ship
is Ubuntu.

mcm

--
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA