Possible to save a complete thread?

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Mon Nov 16 08:57:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 15:11 +0800, HermanAA wrote:
> I do save some of the good info on this list. It takes too much time.
> Is it possible to save an entire thread in one go?
> I use Evolution (default setup) in Ubuntu 8.10.

yes. To do this in evolution select a message in the thread you want to
save, hit "ctrl+H" to select the entire thread, then "right-click > Save
As" and Evolution will save the entire thread in a plain-text file as
you see it, with the header information separating the messages.

You can do this with individual messages too...just skip the 'ctrl+h'
step.

> Saving an entire thread in one go (all the text, delete the chaff
> manually) would be a big time-saver.

Agreed. Alternatively, you could also just copy the thread name, and the
date, and save that someplace, then search the online archives if you
ever need the info.... though sometimes its still good to have a local
copy.

> For my reading I filter on subject, then 'read' each message in the
> thread.

you should switch to threaded mode by checking the "View > [ ] Group by
Threads" box (or hit ctrl+T). It makes following threads of conversation
clearer.

> To save a thread I now (for each message) 'select all text' and 'copy'
> and save using gedit.

Hopefully the "right-click > Save As" will save you a bit of time :)

to trim out all the crap, you could even write a little script to
process the file with after saving... might be a little more work, but
might be a fun project too.

--
Andrew