server upgrade with glitches

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at
Sat Nov 14 03:20:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at> wrote:
> I also had to remove the splash and quiet again since they reappeared in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Needed to run update-grub afterwords.
> Now the problem is how do I create a  /boot/grub/grub.cfg file from scratch?
> the upgrade did not create one.
> Also there is no /etc/default/grub file. I guess I can create one like the
> one in
> And I like to migrate to ext4 as well
> So all in all, I am looking for ext3 to ext4 upgrade and grub migration
> procedure from 9.04 to 9.10.
> So the upgrade procedure for ubuntu server as shown here
> should really need more than those three steps to cover the ext3 to ext4 and
> grub upgrade procedure
> The release notes only said "Switching to ext4 requires manually updating
> grub" with a link to ext4 wiki. But no clear steps there.

Seems you're still running Grub Legacy.

There are still stability problems with ext4 - beware.

Grub Legacy and ext4 are not compatible.

You should first update grub to grub2 - read the manual thoroughly
*before* any move.

Only then upgrade to ext4.

Depending on how this server is vital I would stay with grub and ext3
for a while.

Good luck.

L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W
Linux Regist. User #481505 -
5E42 E02F E21D 171B EA82  1876 621D 17EB AEBA 4B50