server upgrade with glitches

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 20:10:57 UTC 2009

Hi

I upgraded from jaunty 64 bit server to karmic 64 bit server and the upgrade
was pretty smooth with few glitces

The console was not working since ttyS0 was defined in /etc/event.d and that
no longer works per http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910

So I made changes as explained here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto and now console looks
lot better.

I also had to remove the splash and quiet again since they reappeared in
/boot/grub/menu.lst file. Needed to run update-grub afterwords.

Now the problem is how do I create a  /boot/grub/grub.cfg file from scratch?
the upgrade did not create one.
Also there is no /etc/default/grub file. I guess I can create one like the
one in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto

And I like to migrate to ext4 as well

So all in all, I am looking for ext3 to ext4 upgrade and grub migration
procedure from 9.04 to 9.10.

So the upgrade procedure for ubuntu server as shown here
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
should really need more than those three steps to cover the ext3 to ext4 and
grub upgrade procedure

The release notes only said "Switching to ext4 requires manually updating
grub" with a link to ext4 wiki. But no clear steps there.

I really appreciate if someone either provide some steps here or update the
content on one of the above links I discussed above

Thanks

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu