ssh and remote sudo not hiding password

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Fri Nov 13 18:51:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:09:12PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> @Hal Burgis: You may not care about the way the distro was planned to
> be used but I would suggest that it is not a good idea to recommend a
> practice that is controversial for Ubuntu without explaining the
> inherent risks.

I do care on a certain level. I care enough to have migrated a number of
servers for a small web hosting operation from gentoo and centos (both of
which have root accounts with passwords, as did our BSD systems) to 8.04 and
have both my work and home desktops on 9.04, having used Ubuntu since 6.06. I
just don't necessarily agree to every nuance in every situation. I am not even
up on the "Ubuntu way", and if I have to filter my *opinions* through the
"Ubuntu way" ... well, I'd rather have my own opinions than Canonical's.

Bye.

--
Hal