problems in upgrading to/installing Ubuntu 9.10 (Tom H)

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:36:23 UTC 2009

> while following this  link: http://grub.enbug.org/Manual :
> to read more about GRUB 2 I found I did not have grub-pc
> tools.
> However after installing grub-pc tools booting  got stuck
>  menu page; any selection ended up in :
> "ERROR 11: unrecognized device".
> However after editing first line of GRUB 2, which was:
> root  <disk hardware no.>
> root (hd0,5)
> I could boot into Linux partition and run 'upgrade-from-grub-legacy'
> which made booting normal with new look booting menu page.
> Is this normal behaviour?

When you upgrade from 9.04, you still had Grub 1 and that is normal.

Installing grub-pc upgraded you to Grub 2.

"root  <disk hardware no.>" is a bug that I thought had been eradicated...

Having to run upgrade-from-grub-legacy means that you chose "Chainload
from menu.lst?" when installing grub-pc.

So it is normal. Glad all's well.