Internet access problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 11 17:51:36 UTC 2009

On 11/11/2009 01:35 AM, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> R Page-Jones:
>
>> When I enter the command line:
>>
>> gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
>> An empty box comes up with "aliases (/etc/modprobe.d) - gedit" as a title across the top, but the box itself is completely empty.
>
> Did you do what I suggested to disable IPv6 for Firefox? If so, does it
> improve things?

And my apologies... I should have ignored the documentation & remembered
your suggestion from June :-)

> NoOp:
>
>> How do you disable IPv6 in Jaunty? I tried to sort that out awhile back
>> for testing & never did figure out how to do it.
>
> Since ipv6 is compiled into Jaunty's kernel rather than as a module as
> it was done in older Ubuntu versions, blacklisting won't work any more.
>
> What you could try (I haven't tested if it really works) is to add
> net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
> to /etc/sysctl.conf or /etc/sysctl.d/<something>
>
> I seem to remember having read somewhere that adding
> ipv6.disable=1
> to the kernel's command line should also do the trick. But I haven't
> tested this either.
>
> --
> Regards
>   mks

So,  as punishment I'll toddle of to launchpad and file a documentation
bug report and
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide
which also provides the same reference to /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
(4.5.2. IPV6).