weird folder with ms printer drivers in my home folder

Vitorio Okio ovitorio at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 03:09:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:42:00 -0500, Rashkae wrote:

> Rashkae wrote:
>> Vitorio Okio wrote:
>>> All at a sudden I've found a strange folder in /home on my Jaunty.
>>>
>>> The folder is using apparently random 30 digits number for its name.
>>> It contains 2 sub-folders: /amd64 and /i386.  Each of those in their
>>> turn contains a bunch of same files: several .dll's, .cat, .gpd, and
>>> .inf files.  According to a time stamp the folder is about couple of
>>> months old.
>>>
>>> The .inf file in each mentioned above sub-folders suggests that these
>>> are files for "Microsoft system driver files for XPSDrv print
>>> drivers."
>>>
>>> I cannot imagine how possibly this crap could happen in my /home on a
>>> pure Linux laptop that is operated within a pure Linux network
>>> environment.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions folks? Should I be worried about integrity of my
>>> little network?
>>>
>>> Though I do not see how possibly this junk could be used withing
>>> Ubuntu, especially considering its weird location in /home folder.
>>
>> I've been compromised by a worm before, and well know it's possible,
>> but this doesn't look anything like that.
>>
>> If I were to make a wild arse guess, I think you must at some time have
>> installed a package that provides universal Cups printer driver for
>> windows network clients.  I'm not at all certain the files are supposed
>> to be located in /home, but perhaps they got moved there by accident?
>
> Nope, that's not it, the cups windows driver is i386 only.... so I think
> you must at some point in time have connected to a printer from windows
> via samba, with administrative rights, and uploaded the driver, which
> should have gone into /var/lib/samba/printers

Last time I had Windows on one of my PSs was a couple of years ago. I
even removed samba from my linux installs. Andd the folder in question is
a couple months old.

Sincerely it does not look to me like a worm or something of the kind.
But the fact I do not understand it sudden appearance bothers me a lot.
Plus a location is really weird.