KDE logout

Doug Robinson dkrr at telus.net
Wed Nov 11 01:26:38 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/11/8 Doug Robinson <dkrr at telus.net>:
>
>> bqz69 wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday 08 November 2009 12:06:23 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>

>>    I have installed 9.10 on my system and most often
>> a "logout" or a "shutdown" attempt fails.
>>

>> Try in a konsole:
>>
>> "sudo shutdown -h now"  for stop
>>
>> "sudo shutdown -r now" for reboot
>>

>> I am not sure where you are on this thread but
>>
>> Another problem I am having is my userid has been removed from the
>> sudoers file - where ever that is
>>
>> dkr is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
>>
>> I did try "shutdown" at one point with no result.
>>

> I would suspect that the fact that your user is not in the sudoers
> file may be the root of your problem. Look at the link that Noop
> posted, and let us know if adding your user solves the problem.

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately this installation has turned into a complete
disaster! At various times I have endured:
1) KDE fails to install - E.G. the window for a (kde|gnome) login is
completely blank.
2) Spontaneous deletion of mount points - no biggie but terrifying!
3) Shutdown failure where the system does not quit.
4) Shutdown failure where the system quits working but the system does
not turn off.
5) Installs where the keyboard does not respond but the mouse does.
6) Sound only works sometimes and even then it shuts down every few minutes.
7) Disappearance of the /etc/sudoer file. - A real problem.
8) Failure of logout - see 3.

In addition - at some point I rebooted the system and my backup file
system was gone.
i.e. the disk manager could identify the FS as jfs but could not mount
or fsck. So much
for 6 years of bloat.

I have reinstalled 9.10 five (5) times. Still the system, does not
perform properly
I hacked and tweeked and I credit
me with destroying the FS. If I had fewer problems I would not have
needed to reinstall
so many times. Thus fewer opportunities to blunder.

My vote goes for the black eye!

The good side is the latest install has a nice clean & flexible disk outlay.

I am back at square one trying to make sound with audicity and amarok work.

Please wish me luck, but I am afraid I am going to end up looking for a
distribution
that will work for me - any ideas?

Thanks again for everybodies help!

dkr