KDE logout

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 08:19:02 UTC 2009

> Unfortunately this installation has turned into a complete
> disaster! At various times I have endured:
> 1) KDE fails to install - E.G. the window for a (kde|gnome) login is
> completely blank.
> 2) Spontaneous deletion of mount points - no biggie but terrifying!
> 3) Shutdown failure where the system does not quit.
> 4) Shutdown failure where the system quits working but the system does not
> turn off.
> 5) Installs where the keyboard does not respond but the mouse does.
> 6) Sound only works sometimes and even then it shuts down every few minutes.
> 7) Disappearance of the /etc/sudoer file. - A real problem.
> 8) Failure of logout - see 3.
>
> In addition - at some point I rebooted the system and my backup file system
> was gone.
> i.e. the disk manager could identify the FS as jfs but could not mount or
> fsck. So much
> for 6 years of bloat.
>
> I have reinstalled 9.10 five (5) times. Still the system, does not perform
> properly
> I hacked and tweeked and I credit
> me with destroying the FS. If I had fewer problems I would not have needed
> to reinstall
> so many times. Thus fewer opportunities to blunder.
>
> My vote goes for the black eye!
>
> The good side is the latest install has a nice clean & flexible disk outlay.
>
> I am back at square one trying to make sound with audicity and amarok work.
>
> Please wish me luck, but I am afraid I am going to end up looking for a
> distribution
> that will work for me - any ideas?
>
> Thanks again for everybodies help!
>
> dkr

Sounds like a nightmare to me. If you are looking for a KDE distro
then Mandriva, Suse, and Fedora all have good offerings. But you might
want to go with Debian, on which Ubuntu is built and will be the most
familiar.

Note that if you switch distros, you may need to adjust the file
permissions of you /home files due to UID numbering differences
between distros. For instance, *buntu starts with UID 1000, whereas
RedHat distros start with 500. It is not a big deal, but a gotcha to
be aware of.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com