Whoever gave NM a keyring

Tue Nov 10 10:53:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 14:37:33 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Avi Greenbury wrote:
> 	Well I wrote a bug on keyring and it follows. Please does it
> make sense to you?

Sort of, it could be better, though. For a start, it's incredibly
verbose, and it's really not written in a technical manner - it's very
ambiguous and a bit vague. And you've not said what you expected to
happen at any point, only what did happen.

Also, we need version numbers.

> >         The bug is on keychain used to save the Network Manager
> > password(s). It means that there is at least one extra step to take
> > before you get any Internet. If you have a wired Internet the
> > keychain does not interfere.

Is the problem merely the extra step?

> >         After a reboot when you have the software loaded it will
> > come up and detect the WiFi and a panel will come up asking you to
> > enter the password for your keyring. Since you never gave a keyring
> > a password this is a real problem.

*if* you never gave a keyring password - many people have done.

> >         A partial fix was found that involves delete of several
> > files which cause the keyring to ask for a new password. You can
> > give this password. Then reboot and the keyring panel appears and
> > you give it your known password and Network Manager starts
> > automatic.

Which files? Where is this fix?

> >         The solution to this bug is to change the software so
> > keychain ignores the Network Manager like it already does for wcid,
> > a replacement for Network Manager.

This is not the fix. This is *a* fix to a problem you've sort-of
inferred exists above. But since you've not actually precisely defined
a problem, there's no obvious fix.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)