Yup, Karmic is somewhat of a disaster

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Nov 10 03:35:01 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:

> So, no idea why it's been moved to universe... you'll have to check
> launchpad for that.
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/policykit-gnome

It's still possible to isntall policykit.  I think maybe it's for third
party support.  All of ubuntu's hal policies have been ported to
policykit-1, but I suppose it's entirely possible for a third party app
or service to have an old policykit profile, in which case, you would
use the old policykit packages to benefit from it.

In any case, as far as Ubuntu install is concerned,
policykit-gnome-administration no longer does anything just for you..
just a red herring for upgraders.