Update Manager is gone?!?

Anthony Christopher sart057 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 16:55:11 UTC 2009

mdovell at comcast.net wrote:
> Recently I tried to install a game (alien something...that FPS one)
> anyway in attempting to get rid of it some lock appeared on the
> program itself. Then when rebooting it stated the OS couldn't launch
> and there was nearly countless questions of a yes or no about some bad
> memory.
>
> Well from scanning and everything being OK the OS loads...everything
> seems ok but for some reason
> update manager isn't working. I've reinstalled it via synaptic but as
> of yet it doesn't load. I've also rebooted.
> Normally if I run this it would come up saying that everything was
> already updated but now nothing happens on the screen when I try to
> load it. The system doesn't crash or anything and I have no other
> programs running.
>
> Any ideas?
Ideas:
System>Preferences>Main Menu
Find and select Update Manager
click on Properties
Note command.
if the command is not blank or garbled (In my case it reads
/usr/bin/update-manager)
open a terminal window and enter the observed command at the prompt and
report back results noted in terminal window. Since there are occasional
discontinuities between versions of ubuntu, you might also supply us
with the identifier of the version that you are having trouble with.

Anthony