Whoever gave NM a keyring

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 09:57:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:09 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 11/06/2009 06:16 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> >
> >       The keyring is a complete worthless poorly written software
> > that makes Network Manager (NM) worthless! There is NO reason
> > to protect the password I gave my router. It is just to keep
> > local Internet users guessing.
> >
> >       I had to delete a lot of the keyring stuff and that somehow
> > caused it to need a new password! So I gave it karl. Now when
> > I start 9.10 a panel comes up first asking for my keyring
> > password, I give it karl and the NM starts fine now.
> >
> >       But this is STUPID!
> >
> >       If you are the one who put the gnome-keyring into the NM
> > PLEASE TAKE IT OUT. I deleted all I was able to as a root user
> > and keyring is still alive and well.
> >
> >       This is why so many people use wcid. No keyring crap.
>
> Have you considered opening up seahorse
> (Applications|Accessories|Passwords and Encryption Keys) and checking
> and/or deleting the keys there?

Actually the issue which Karl is facing, is exactly what I was facing a few
months ago and NoOP, you are correct seahorse is the answer.

However, when you fo through Applications|Accessories|Passwords and
Encryption Keys you are actually opening seahorse-agent and that might not
solve Karl's problem.

Here's a better solution :
- Open a terminal
- $ seahorse

This will open the Seahorse application.

In the LAST tab, named Passwords, there will be an entry called "Passwords".

This contains entries for Wifi networks and/or other stuff like
password-protected PDFs.

Here's what I did.
1. Delete all the entries under "Passwords".
2. Right-click on "Passwords" and click on "Change Passwords". Then, set the
password same as your user password.

Voila !! You should be good to go.

Just Log out and Log In again.
Now not only does the system use the keyring functionality, it does so
without bugging the user.
Note : You will have to enter the Wifi passwords once atleast after this.

--
Raseel