MacBook Pro and Ubuntu.

Steven Susbauer stupendoussteve at me.com
Sat Nov 7 15:51:46 UTC 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 6:47 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 7 Nov 2009, at 1:47am, John Appleseed wrote:
>
>> So, I just ordered a refurbished 15" MacBook Pro from Apple, and I
>> was
>> wondering if Ubuntu works fine under Boot Camp? Has anyone had any
>> problems? The laptop doesn't arrive until Monday or Tuesday, so I
>> have
>> a little bit of time to decide if I want to try  it or not.
>
> When I got my macbook Pro, about a year ago now, I thought I would
> eventually do the same. However, first I tried putting ubuntu into a
> Virtual machine, just as an experiment, and that was worked very well
> such that I never needed use BootCamp. The advantage of using a VM is
> of course yo don't need to dual boot, which is very nice. Of course,
> there is a small overhead to running in a VM, the biggest being your
> machine needs enough ram. But if you have enough, and I would say 4G
> giving 2G to the VM is a good balance, then I would give this a try.
> Dual booting is very yesterday ;)
>
> I know this isn't really an answer to your question, but I thought it
> might interest you if you hadn't thought of using a VM...

It may be worth asking on ##mac on Freenode, a member by the name of
"branes" has suggested against running Linux in boot camp due to some
issue it has with, I believe, voltage control. I am not very familiar
with the issue or what problems it may cause, and have not tried
running a distro in boot camp myself.