Multiple Distros - One /home

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Fri Nov 6 16:01:41 UTC 2009

Cristopher Thomas wrote:
> How much trouble would I be making for myself if I attempted to have a
> shared /home partition for a dual boot of two separate distros?  Is
> this even possible?

As long as you have seperate users for each build you should be able to
set up the following (example):

    sda1 = /home
       /home/user1
       /home/user2

    sda2 = /      <- of build one
    sda3 = /      <- of build two

the seperate users would keep config files specific to the builds
seperate.  This /could/ be done.  On the other hand you keep the data
separate this way.  As Avi mentioned it might be better to have shared
data partition instead:

    sda1 = /Data
    sda2 = /      <- of build one
    sda3 = /      <- of build two

then use the command "ln -s" to link directories to /Data

> Separate question:  is there documentation available that would tell
> me how to go about moving my current /home to a separate partition?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Cris

Use a live cd to shrink and repartition your hard drive.  Move your data
and mount the new partition to /home.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."