9.10 is a black eye for Ubuntu

Roger rnodal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 01:59:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> Tony Arnold wrote:
>> Roger,
>>
>> Roger wrote:
>>
>>> I will double check but from the top of my head, I think I formatted
>>> everything. I don't see why apt-get will have an alias to a graphical
>>> tool but that's another story.
>>
>> Neither do I really, just trying to think of possibilities.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tony.
>
> Here's a thought that just popped into my head (not tested).  What if
> apt-get update is working just fine, but the GUI update manager pops up
> because it detects the updated packages now available in the package
> database?  I would never have noticed, because trimming down the
> start-up programs from my gnome session, including but not limited too
> update notifier, is one of the first things I do.

Your thought makes a lot of sense. I had update notifier enabled to
start up even though in the settings I had it setup NOT to notify me.
I really don't understand why would someone go through the trouble of
opening a terminal then typing "apt-get update" just to have a
graphical tool show up and do
what they can do with just typing "apt-get upgrade".

-r