Change Ubuntu reporting language in Terminal (Konsole)

LLLActive@GMail.com lllactive at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 23:49:43 UTC 2009

ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

Well, in my new 9.10 VB installation (no problems so far - contra the
other posts "Re: 9.10 is a black eye for Ubuntu"), I do not see a way
to give a user another language default in the gnome gui. Would have
been neat though!

So I am still looking for a way to get English error reports from apps
in the cli, that could also be set in the environment of a different
user when logged in from the terminal session cli wirh su <user> -. I
know where to set such things as the prompt for openSUSE (.profile),
but not yet for Ubuntu/Deb. In openSUSE 11.2 in the user's home
directory (in the .profiles file), I have:

# Most applications support several languages for their output.
# To make use of this feature, simply uncomment one of the lines below
or
# add your own one (see /usr/share/locale/locale.alias for more codes)
# This overwrites the system default set in /etc/sysconfig/language
# in the variable RC_LANG.
#
#export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for German output
#export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for French output
#export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for Spanish output

I can't get to the German user now, but I tried it on my VB
installation. It is an English US installation, where I uncommeted the
de.DE.UTF-8, but it did not work on Ubuntu 9.10 in the user's .profile
file.

Any ideas welcome.

:-)
Al