Change Ubuntu reporting language in Terminal (Konsole)

LLLActive@GMail.com lllactive at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 21:02:34 UTC 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 8:42 PM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:57:29 +0100, LLLActive at GMail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am supporting a user that uses a German default language
>> installation
>> of 9.04 over ssh connections. On this German default language system,
>> the man pages are shown in English; but that is OK. I am trying to
>> generate a *.deb package with alien (sudo alien -c
>> Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm). The reporting language for the
>> errors comes in German at the end for "dpkg-shlibdeps:".
>>
>> :~/Downloads/Epson/ALC1100/RPM$ sudo alien -c
>> Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2-0.i386.rpm
>> [sudo] password for ~:
>> Package build failed. Here's the log: dh_testdir
>> dh_testdir
>> dh_testroot
>> dh_clean -k -d
>> dh_installdirs
>> dh_installdocs
>> dh_installchangelogs
>> find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name debian -print0 | \
>>                xargs -0 -r -i cp -a {} debian/epson-alc1100-filter
>> dh_compress
>> dh_makeshlibs
>> dh_installdeb
>> dh_shlibdeps
>> dpkg-shlibdeps: Warnung: Abhängigkeit von libgcc_s.so.1 könnte
>> vermieden
>> werden, falls »debian/epson-alc1100-filter/usr/bin/alc1100« nicht
>> unnötigerweise dagegen gelinkt wäre (es verwendet keines seiner
>> Symbole). dh_gencontrol
>> dpkg-gencontrol: Fehler: aktuelle Host-Architektur »amd64« erscheint
>> nicht in der Architekturliste (i386) des Pakets dh_gencontrol:
>> command
>> returned error code 65280 make: *** [binary-arch] Fehler 1
>> find: "Epson-ALC1100-filter-1.2": No such file or directory
>>
>> I need the Warnings in English (I do understand the German fully, but
>> want to communicate with the programmer in English by sending it to
>> them
>> in English).
>>
>> The locals installed are:
>>
>> sudo locale-gen
>> Generating locales...
>>  de_DE.UTF-8... up-to-date
>>  en_GB.UTF-8... up-to-date
>>
>> How can I get English outputs without changing the system
>> defaults?  Can
>> it be set to en_GB.UTF-8 as default for the CLI sessions over ssh,
>> but
>> keep the GUI in German?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> :-)
>> Al
>
> In my environment I have set LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 and
> LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8. This gets me near to what you want. Only all
> menu's in
> all appliances are in english too. You may not wat that, but I have no
> idea how that can be changed.
>
> Aart

Hi Aart,

do you mean that the applications in the cli terminal session also
become English? That is ok - as long as the gnome gui does not change.

Could there be a way to create a user with other language settings, in
this case an English user in gnome gui that is mainly another default
setting? In that way the cli will also then be in English. I will
install 9.10 in VirtualBox and try that out. Anyone tried that before?

:-)
Al