9.10 is a black eye for Ubuntu

Clint Tinsley clintin at linuxmail.org
Thu Nov 5 16:50:47 UTC 2009

It appears that Karmic Koala was rushed out the door and is really giving Ubuntu and Linux a black eye as a very flawed, buggey release.  There have been two derogative reviews with the second one today on Linux Magazine Daily titled "Hey Ubuntu, Stop Making Linux Look Bad" and it sad to acknowledge that they are right.  The article reports that maybe 10% of the user population is getting a "succesful" working installlation and after my experience this morning, I wonder for how longed.  I did an inplace upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, things were seriously broken.  I did a clean install, had a few challenges, not a perfect install. Then this morning, I found that my Wine menu was "reset" and one of my application folders was missing off the hard drive, this after a update that sort of worked, I think.  And like many have experienced, 9.10 is very slow to boot.  Waiting for the real release of 9.10... or atleast a remix.  I cannot recommend 9.10 to my user community.  9.04 was great, it worked, Gloria Mint 7 put on the polish.

Sorry, please no flames.

Clint