new on linux & ubuntu

Wed Nov 4 12:29:42 UTC 2009

"Noman Salim" <nomansalim at live.com> wrote:
>   I m win xp user I want to install ubuntu in my laptop can u tell me
> how can I install it on my winxp & how can I uninstall.

Ubuntu does not install on WinXP, it installs alongside it. It is an
alternative operating system - the same way WinXP and Win2000 are
different operating systems.

> I downloaded ubuntu 9.10 alternate i386.iso kindly tell me how can I
> install & uninstall it using winxp

You would use WinXP to burn the ISO to a CD using an ISO burner[0] and
boot from that CD. The installer will rearrange your hard drives to
make space to install Ubuntu on.
Before installing you can use Ubuntu as-is by just booting from the CD,
but it wont save any settings or files.

Another option, which doesn't involve the ISO file or CD burning, is to
use wubi.

[0] http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net is a good one

--
Avi Greenbury