cifs mount not working after 9.10 upgrade

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sun Nov 1 14:39:02 UTC 2009

Chris Jones wrote:
>> As you guessed, I use it under X and the directories are mounted using
>> the standard tools from samba which are now incorporated in a.o.
>> nautilus.
>> But just out of interest I tried to mount from the commandline and
>> found
>> that mount.cifs has disappeared. I assume the developers in their
>> infallible wisdom developed some other script (or changed the name)
>> but
>> forgot to mention it. It would be nice if somewhere a notice had
>> appeared that mount.cifs was depreciated just as the good old
>> mount.smb
>> has been depreciated and replaced by mount.cifs (and also
>> mount.smbfs).
>> I have a running Hardy and there mount.cifs and mount.smbfs are still
>> available. What happened with it in Karmic I don't know. I have the
>> impression that canonical is more and more trying to hide the real
>> processes from the user and urges him to use the graphical layer only.
>> It makes it more equal to commercial OSes like M$ OS and Apple
>> (which is
>>  Unix based on I think BSD hidden under the apple look) but it makes
>> life for normal(?) (more technical) users harder.
>> Just my 0.02 €.
>
> mount.cifs is still there in karmic. You just don't have it
> installed....
>
>   > sudo apt-get install smbclient
>
> I think ...
>
> Chris

No, not in my Karmic. Do you have upgraded to the offical version,
released last Saturday?
My smbclient installs:
../findsmb;../smbclient;../smbget;../smbtar:../smbspool;../smbtree;../smbcalcs;../smbcquotas;../rpcclient;
(..=/usr/bin/) but no cif or smbfs.
If I go to synaptic and search for mount.cifs I only get libpammount
which does something for automatically mounting and unmounting on
file-servers related to the security of the connection..
I am curious what has happened as in the graphical environment mounting
of e.g. windows-shares gives no problem.
Joep