ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 - puzzled

Alexandra Zaharia f0rg3r at gmail.com
Sun May 31 11:02:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:01 PM, emil schwab2 <emilschwab2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Good Day,
>
> I am completely confused. I ordered a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V6545
> with that
>
> ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 card in it. I tried to prepare myself for the
> installation of Ubuntu 9.04 (32 bit version) and I read a lot. I asked
> ATI/AMD about that card and below is their answer. As a beginner in Ubuntu,
> I ask for your help, because I didn't understand from their answer, will it
> work or not? My card doesn't appear in the release notes.
>
> So, question: do you have experience with that particular card? Is that
> catalyst 9.5 driver working fully with that card?
>
> [snip]

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 card in my Asus notebook and
I've also installed Ubuntu 9.04 on it.

There's been a legend running around on how nightmare-ish can ATI
drivers be. That was true, about 1-2 years ago. Things have changed.

When you install Ubuntu you will be able to navigate to the System
menu >> Administration >> Hardware Drivers.

After a brief scan, you'll be notified you use an ATI device for which
there is a proprietary driver available. You just need to agree to use
it and tick a box or two (and maybe restart the system, I don't
recall).

Also, that "great link" the tech support sent you to is a 2004
documentation. :-/

HTH.