Root partition full...how should I free up space?

Faizan Kazi faizan.s.kazi at gmail.com
Sat May 30 13:36:35 UTC 2009

SOLVED!

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 6:54 PM, David Fox <dfox94085 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Faizan Kazi <faizan.s.kazi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > 5.5G    /media
>
> That directory is larger than the others. Is it part of the root
> partition?

faizan at faizan-jaunty:/media$ sudo du -sh /media/*
4.0K    /media/Backup
0    /media/cdrom
4.0K    /media/cdrom0
5.5G    /media/Donuts
4.0K    /media/ISO

David!! you are pure genius!! I cant believe I missed it!!
Thanks guys I solved the problem!! :)

Here's a summary:
I was trying out a bunch of backup softwares: BackInTime, Flyback, Simple
Backup, and in one of them I had by mistake allowed it to run a backup
should the removable backup drive not be available. Yes, this was very
stupid. :(
SO even when the removable drive was not available, it ran the backup and
dumped all the data to /media/Donuts. I really didnt expect it to do that.
It was taking up 5.5 Gigs on my Linux partition!

So now i've just removed the data from there and got back my 5.5 gigs! :)

Thanks all!!

Regards,
Faizan.