Root partition full...how should I free up space?

Faizan Kazi faizan.s.kazi at gmail.com
Tue May 26 06:35:02 UTC 2009

Hi guys!
I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and Ive completely run out of space on my root
partition. Ive tried uninstalled programs, cleaning the apt cache and
autoremoving stuff, but i only freed 500 M and its giving my system
problems... Vuze keeps reporting the harddisk is full... programs seem to be
running slow...
How do i free up space? Shall I expand the partition? (using ext 4). And
where's all my free space gone...??

using "sudo du -h /var/" i found out the following, which may not be totally
accurate....

358M    /var
6.0M    /bin/
19M    /etc/
1.2G    /home/
121M    /lib/
11M    /root/
49M    /opt/
604K    /tmp/
5.0G    /usr/
342M    /var/

proc is over 890 MB... I had to use "gksu nautilus" to find the approximate
size... not all the folders/files could be accessed. which makes sense
considering theyre in use by the system.

one thing to note is when using "gksu nautilus" to find the size of /var it
was reported as ~480 MB, not the 342 that "sudo du -h /var/" reported.

Anyways... Where is my free space? the contents of the folders mentioned
above do not add up to 15 Gigs!!
I see them adding up to 7 Gigs +- 3 or 4 gigs, but basically almost 7 Gigs
seems to have vanished!! :s

I'd really appreciate your help on this guys... I like linux cuz its lean
and mean... but this is getting bloated.. :(

Regards,
Faizan