UbSvr Software RAID

Matthew A Coulliette matthewdistro at cox.net
Sun May 24 04:20:38 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Here is a link for setting up software raid for Ubuntu Server 9.04:
http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/advanced-installation.html

I followed the instructions carefully.  In fact, it took me several
tries to make sure I followed the instructions accurately.  The first 2
sections were hard to follow, but once I understood what they meant the
directions made sense.  Here are the names of the first 3 sections of
the instructions and my comments:

Partitioning: I created new partition tables and created my partitions.
RAID configuration: was slightly different than the instructions, but
seemed to work.
Formatting: I could not follow these instructions.  It would not let me
make changes to RAID1 device #0.

Here is my current partition table:
RAID1 device #0 - 131.5mb software RAID device
                         #1   131.5mb      f      swap      swap
SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sda) -  120.0 GB ATA ST3120827AS
                         #1   primary   131.6   mb   k   raid
                         #2   primary   58.9   gb   k   raid
                         #3   primary   58.9   gb   k   raid
                         #4   primary   2.0   gb   k   raid
SCSI2 (0,1,0) (sdb) -  120.0 GB ATA ST3120827AS
                         #1   primary   131.6   mb   k   raid
                         #2   primary   58.9   gb   k   raid
                         #3   primary   58.9   gb   k   raid
                         #4   primary   2.0   gb   k   raid

Can someone tell me where I am going wrong with this?  Any advice would
be helpful.  Thanks in advance. - MatthewMPP