Antitheft project?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Sat May 23 04:07:19 UTC 2009

My laptop was stolen!

I had to assume that a brighter than average thief
was able to access all the information on it, so I spent a
lot of time notifying banks, credit card companies, etc.

We got all the accounts closed, before any fraudulent
transactions occurred, but it will be a while before
the replacement accounts are working.

What a pain!!!

I'm thinking that I ought to configure a login menu,
with a baited guest account with even more limited privileges
than a normal user's.  But still usable enough to be attractive.

It uses camera to take snapshots of the user, and
records audio, and when it sees an active internet connection
it phones home.

The cops probably would not be interested in doing the
legwork required to get an physical address from a dynamic
ip number, unless there was a lot stolen property visible
in the background.  If they are not interested, a local tv
station might want to scream and holler about it.

It would be interesting to see what happens.

It should not be too hard to build something like this.

But it would be even easier if someone has already built it.

--
Drew Einhorn