Music in terminal (and other text based delights)

anthony baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Tue May 19 02:50:49 UTC 2009

Linda wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Linda <haniganwork at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I use to listen to start music in x windows with rhythm box and then
>>> switch to terminal and work. Ever since I changed to the new LTS version
>>> when I switch I lose the sound until I return to X windows. The
>>> samething happens with amarock.
>>>
>> I'll be durned.  Happens with Rhythmbox here.  Hadn't noticed before.
>> I think you mean 9.04 Jaunty ?  It's not an LTS.  Please confirm this
>> is your verison.
>>
>> Wonder if this relates to Pulse Audio?  I recently followed that forum
>> tutorial and got recording working as I would expect etc.  I was
>> surprised it didn't work for me.
>>
>> NoOp - you notice this?
>>
>> Brian
>>
> No I really do have LTS 8.04.2. It was just one of those things  where I
> was to busy to spend time trying to solve. I finally got my project done
> so now I have time to play. I appreciate everyones suggestions and will
> have to play with them. Of course if I wasn't so stuck in my ways I
> could just open terminals in X windows instead of switching back and forth.
>           Linda

You should try a nice, lightweight, tiling wm like Ion3, awm, dwm or xmonad.
That way you have xrunning, but working in terminal is convenient.
You can run numerous terminals simultaneously, and run do everything in
terminal.
I will frequently use dwm and use mutt to check mail, moc to listen to
music, irrsi to access irc, and even lynx to search google, while doing
other work in terminal, as well.
Some gro0vy screenshots from my machine:
Here's moc running in a transparent terminal on dwm:
http://www.photodharma.com/mocshot.jpg
two terminals, one accessing irc with irssi, and the other chatting on
msn via bitlbee/irssi:
http://www.linguasos.org/bsoft/irc-bitlbee-dwm.jpg
and a nice shot of several terminals in dwm, running lynx, mutt, irssi:
http://www.linguasos.org/bsoft/dwm-mutt-irssi-lynx.jpg

dwm or xmonad are great, since navigation between terminals/workspaces,
etc., can all be done via keyboard, the wm is very lightweight, but also
neatly tiles/organized windows, etc.
Of course, they can run gui apps, like amarok or rhythmbox, since x is
up.  And you can tuck those gui apps out of sight in another workspace.
They're like wm's that don't get in the way with all the flashy gui crap
and bloat of kde or gnome, etc.
If I'm not using dwm, or Ion3, I use openbox, but even in openbox I've
configured a ton of keybindings to allow myself to navigate and work via
keyboard, primarily.

Enough rambling on my part...just a suggestion...

/tony

--

http://www.photodharma.com
art & photos | tony baldwin