100% CPU history in Jaunty

Craig Hagerman craig at hagerman.ca
Tue May 19 01:47:22 UTC 2009

I just upgraded to Jaunty yesterday. I noticed that my CPU fan has
been on all the time (I use AMD frequency scaling) and it is running
hot. It has been over 50 degrees C where it is normally around 34 or
so. When I ran top or checked System Monitor  > Processes it doesn't
show anything taking up the CPU. However in System Monitor > Resources
it has shown 100% CPU usage since upgrading. That is odd. Normally if
I have 100% CPU usage in that Resources tab the Processes tab or 'top'
utility will also show the same and identify what is using up the CPU.
But not in this case.

Does anyone have any idea why I am getting 100% CPU usage but the
culprit isn't showing up in top / System Monitor > Processes? How can
I otherwise identify the offending program? Any other ideas about what
might be going on here?

Craig