Microsoft

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Thu May 14 16:33:10 UTC 2009

2009/5/10 H.S. <hs.samix at gmail.com>:
> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> We all have different needs, so I guess different people will give you
>> different answers. My problem was that I couldn't play music files
>> gaplessly until I found an audio player called Songbird, all the
>
> Did you try audacious?

Yes I did. It failed.

Right now I don't remember exactly HOW it failed, i just remember that
the only player that didn't fail was Songbird and I used it ever since
and I uninstalled all the other audio players.

Some of the players I tested failed the gap test by just not being
gap-less. Playing tracks from a Live performance was a pretty annoying
experience and also some classical music and The Beatles ”Abbey Road”
album (a few songs are performed like a medley on that one).

Some players failed by just cross-fading tracks into each other. That
works for Live performances, but not for medleys, since enough
milliseconds will be lost to be hearable. It's hard for me to explain
this in English, I just don't know the right words. If I can add a
home made ”term” for it, it would be something like ”out of beat”… I
don't know.

A third way to fail was represented by Aqualung. It played my files
gaplessly all right, but everything was delayed. I guess that it read
ahead into some kind of buffer which was a few seconds. The down side
was that if I, for example, press STOP, it continued to play until the
whole buffer was empty, so everything was delayed. Sounds incredibly
stupid, but that's how it worked for me.

Some of the players failed by not being able to play FLAC files. I
don't remember if Audacious was one of those.

I use FLAC all the time, especially for my own recordings (being a
multi intrumentalist with my own ”recording studio”). I save all my
final mixes uncompressed, but not as 24-bit WAV, which is the format I
get from my recording hardware. I also use my files for documentation,
by giving as much information as possible in tags, like who plays
what, when it was recorded, who wrote the song and things like that,
so I can't use WAV for that. That's where FLAC comes in.

By the way, did you know that Microsoft Windows Media Player doesn't
support 24-bit WAV? At least not when I had Windows, until summer
2007. That's kind of funny anyway, since WAV is a Microsoft format…
(however somewhat violated these days).

J.R.