Installing user apps

Reeyarn reeyarn at gmail.com
Thu May 14 12:11:03 UTC 2009

2009/5/14 Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com>:

> Yes, I am talking about installing NB in Ubuntu. The difference is that the
> version I found in the Ubuntu repo is 6.1 and I need 6.5 . If the directory
> is read-only, I would need to install it using sudo, but would then wonder
> about accessing the app since the permissions may be somewhat more
> restrictive than might be otherwise usable for my user account.

First, if your NB in the Ubuntu repository is 6.1 rather than 6.5,
make sure you have the latest sources.list and apt-get update has been used.

According to http://www.javadesign.info/SystemsHardware/OS/Ubuntu/install-netbeans-on-ubuntu
Install NetBeans on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), NB in Intrepid is already 6.5.

Second, to install an application in Ubuntu or Debian always requests
your root privilige,
while to run an application doesn't.
For example, your x-desktop should have been installed in an read-only
directory, but you could run it without using root.