Home directory as desktop.

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 23:02:04 UTC 2009

hippie dream wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 15:12 -0700, hippie dream wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>

>>> sudo mv /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp /home/sam/Desktop     # So I was
>>> meaning to move one file from my desktop
>>>
>> # So then I thought to reverse this... This was stupid although not too
>> harmful it really just put the desktop directory into the emacs directory.
>>
>>>  sudo mv /home/sam/Desktop /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp
>>>
>> Of course at this point I realized that I was not moving the file but an
>> entire directory. Now my home folder is shared with my Desktop. Any
>> changes
>> made on my desktop affects my home folder. Any ideas on how I could
>> reverse
>> this mess I've created? Instead of having Ubuntu load my entire home
>> directory onto the desktop, I would like it only to desktop a directory
>> aptly named 'Desktop' as it was previously.
>>

> To reverse the above do the following:
>
> sudo mv /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp /home/sam/Desktop
>
> There should be a directory called site-lisp in /home/sam/Desktop. Move
> it back by doing:
>
> sudo mv /home/sam/Desktop/site-lisp /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp
>
> Thanks for the reply. I tried the following command and received this
> message:
>
> sam at sam-laptop:~$ sudo mv /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp /home/sam/Desktop
> mv: cannot overwrite non-directory `/home/sam/Desktop/site-lisp' with
> directory `/usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp'
>
> For some reason my activities have ended up making my desktop linked to my
> home directory. Also there was a file not a directory in /home/sam/Desktop/
> called site-lisp which I have move as suggested. However, can anyone suggest
> how I may restablish the connection between my physical desktop and the
> directory Desktop and remove the link between my home directory and my
> physical desktop.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sam

    Well Sam, on ALL Ubuntu I have, there is a /home/ directory. Now
your /sam/directory goes on the /home/sam/ directory tree like this. Now
the /Desktop/ is on the /sam/ directory and the tree looks like:

/home/sam/Desktop/

like that. You can have hundreds of other things on /home/sam/, and even
hundreds of dirctories on /home/sam/Desktop/ like I have.

Karl