rename appears useless in Ubuntu

anthony baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Wed May 13 20:28:31 UTC 2009

Rashkae wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>
>> FWIW, this rename is the one I'm used to.  I'm pretty sure it's been
>> the default on a few other distros I've used as well...
>>
>> Brian
>>

> Since this comes from Debian, I would surmise that some of the other
> distros you've used are Debian based?  Prior to Ubuntu, my experience
> was with Slack, RH, Mandrake (yeah, I'm dating myself, I know) and LFS.
>
> Of course, doing things differently from those distros is by no means
> equal to doing things wrong, but util linux
> (http://freshmeat.net/projects/util-linux/  or
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~kzak/util-linux-ng/) is a fundamental set of
> tools in any Linux system, and I believe replacing parts of it with
> alternatives that are not syntax compatible is a..... disservice.
> Though I agree that prename is a superior tool to do the job.

Yeah, I agree, now that I've checked it out, that prename has its
usefulness, but I also believe that  prename should be "prename", and
rename should be "rename", not "rename.ul", because rename is also quite
useful.  They shouldn't rename prename to be rename, and then rename
rename otherwise...just silly.

/tony

--

http://www.photodharma.com