rename appears useless in Ubuntu

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed May 13 13:36:24 UTC 2009

Brian McKee wrote:

> FWIW, this rename is the one I'm used to.  I'm pretty sure it's been
> the default on a few other distros I've used as well...
>
> Brian

Since this comes from Debian, I would surmise that some of the other
distros you've used are Debian based?  Prior to Ubuntu, my experience
was with Slack, RH, Mandrake (yeah, I'm dating myself, I know) and LFS.

Of course, doing things differently from those distros is by no means
equal to doing things wrong, but util linux
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/util-linux/  or
http://userweb.kernel.org/~kzak/util-linux-ng/) is a fundamental set of
tools in any Linux system, and I believe replacing parts of it with
alternatives that are not syntax compatible is a..... disservice.
Though I agree that prename is a superior tool to do the job.