9.04: no "third party" apps available ?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 13 17:03:39 UTC 2009

On 05/13/2009 08:52 AM, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>> But the real reason that no third-party
>> apps show up in the Add/Remove list is that the app-install-data-partner
>> package does not come with any *.desktop files for any packages in
>> Canonical's jaunty repository.
>
> Yes I though about that, while reading a few bug reports 10 minutes ago...
>
>> When you file the bug, you should file it against the apt and
>> app-install-data-partner packages. Both have incorrect url's for the
>> Canonical repository, and app-install-data-partner has no
>> appropriate .desktop files for the Add/Remove Third-party list of
>> applications.
>
> Too late, I have alreday jsut filed the bug report ;-)
> The devs will assign to the appropriate packages I am sure...
>
> Here is the link:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-app-install/+bug/376066

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/app-install-data-partner
There was a recent update (in proposed) to add:
- acroread.desktop
- fluendo.desktop
- pdvd.desktop
- flash10.desktop
- fluendo-wmv.desktop
Also see:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/app-install-data-commercial/+bug/370187>

On my 32bit I'm showing (Add/Remove Third party...)
Adobe Flash Plugin 10
Adobe Reader 9
Fluendo Complete Playback Pack Documentation
Fluendo Windows Media and MP3 Documentation
PowerDVD Linux Documentation

and I am updated on proposed.

Could it be that you are not seeing the two Adobe apps because you are
on 64bit?

http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/
http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/pool/partner/a/acroread/
No 64bits there.