Evolution send mail though proxy setting, how to? -- 2.26.1 still doesn't work!

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed May 13 16:11:53 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>

>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> That's a really poor attitude, and likely to get _your_ servers
>>> blacklisted.
>>>

>> Ha! You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you heard about
>> open proxies?
>>

> Of course I have - and if that's what you're blacklisting that's fine, but
> if you're blacklisting servers _purely_ because they're proxying, then you
> _will_ get blacklisted yourself.  You can't be blocking mail sent through
> proper channels.

Emphasis on proper channels.
>>> There's nothing inherently wrong with proxying SMTP connections.
>>>

>> So long as they are connecting to their smarthosts to submit their email
>> and other than the fact that natting is most probably the better way to
>> allow smtp/submission/smtps/pop3/imap connections. Oh, that is besides
>> the fact that this capability is inherently meant to get around
>> firewalls and most likely, therefore, company policy if the network
>> administrator did not open up email related connections in the
>> firewall/gateway.
>>

> So what?  I do, in fact, send my email through an SSH tunnel when I'm in
> this location.  Otherwise, because the client's firewall intercepts _any_
> attempt to connect to port 25 on any system, and redirects it through its
> own server, my emails would seem to come from the client, not my own
> company's server.  In fact, that's technically a violation of their policy -
> which do you think is more honest?

Why do you think the submission port (587) exists?
>> Any proxy server connecting to anything other than a smarthost will be
>> blacklisted and blocked locally.
>>

> Ah, so now you're backing down from your absolute statement that proxies
> will be blacklisted.

Nope. Just clarifying or adding context. A smtp server designated for
authenticated smtp is not the same thing as a mx.
>> Using a local SMTP as a smarthost is NOT the same as using a proxy
>> server. Period. A proxy server does not follow the rules of mail
>> delivery.
>>

> A proxy does whatever it is configured to do.

Proxy servers do not queue email and deliver them.
>> It does what it is told by the email client (connect to
>> smtp.gmail.com please). A mta looks up the mx of the recipient domain in
>> the email and connects accordingly. Any 'mta' that does anything else
>> will get itself listed and blocked. Period.
>>

> My proxy says "connect to an SMTP server - if the destination is within the
> client's domain, use theirs, otherwise use mine".  If you get email from me,
> it's always routed correctly and if you block it there are blackhole lists
> for admins like you, too.

Link to proxy server that has some smtp smarts in it please. Oh, link to
blackhole lists for admins that block open proxies too (that is what a
proxy that connects to a mx will be defined as).

Shall I post a thread on this in NANAE too? Maybe I will post a thread
on spam-l too. Why do you think ISPs have taken the step of redirecting
smtp connections to their own smtp servers AND scanning emails being
sent out via them too?

>> The fact that using a proxy server does not work all the
>> time is evident that admins with clue know to reject smtp/pop3/imap
>> requests.
>>

> No, it's evidence that some people don't know how or when to set up such a
> proxy correctly.

I am sorry but people who configure squid to proxy smtp connections are
just asking for trouble. They better hope they don't have some botnet
slave(s) within their internal lan.

>> Therefore, I reiterate, email clients are supposed to connect
>> directly to their smarthosts.
>>

> It's hard to reiterate something that you didn't say in the first place.  I
> agree mail clients should connect to their smarthosts, though that's
> actually counter to normal linux thinking (sysadmins often insist that a
> _client_ should never talk SMTP at all, and should only pipe to sendmail),
> but "directly"?  Not always.

Fine. Chop off the 'to their smarthosts' part then.

Link to sysadmins often insisting that a client should never talk smtp
at all? First time I have ever heard of that. Or do you need to add
context to that statement as well? I certainly would find it hilarious
that any sysadmin would insist that Evolution or Thunderbird pipe to
/usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/lib/sendmail.