The future of Ubuntu Linux.... Will it make Micro$oft go bankrupt?

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Tue May 12 15:09:30 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 16:02:23 Franz Waldmüller wrote:
> Ashley Benton schrieb:
> > Thanks I will try as yesterday my son try a Ubuntu presentation saved in
> > ppt and when watched on Windows the pictures had disappeared and only
> > the text remained,
>
> If you inset pictures in impress with drag and drop they are only linked
> into the presentation. Insert-Object-picture is better. Check the
> preferences, too.
> When sending presentations use the pdf-export.
> I'll try it your way and see how that works. I am
>
> > sure that what is happening is due more to not knowing how to than to
> > open office and any advices are welcome as I'd like to have my sons use
> > Ubuntu more often but don't want them to have trouble at school for it
> > neither.
>
> Try to convince your school to use open standards.

Ah!  I think that you have it, Franz.  Linked pictures can only be accessed on
the computer on which the presentation was made - it would not run any better
on a Linux machine running OpenOffice.org.  We hit that block - the first
presentation my granddaughter made wouldn't run on my computer, so we had
solved that one before ever she tried to run it on Powerpoint.

Lisi