Inappropriate tone on this mailing list and requirement for governance

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:27:39 UTC 2009

Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) wrote:
> Loïc Martin schreef:
>
>> By "locking" the thread, I mean not allowing any replies to a thread to
>> be sent to the list. Which is possible: just filter all replies to the
>> thread and messages that have the exact same subject as the locked
>> thread, and send them to the bin server side.
>
> I don't like your suggestion. It exceeds, in my humble opinion, the
> principle of proportionality. I will explain why.
>
> A thread may start with a mostly harmless subject like "grub error 17"
> and may wander off into the realms of the offtopic. If we apply your
> suggestion, nobody will ever again be able to ask a question about "grub
> error 17". Newcomers won't understand why nobody will help them.
> On the other hand, trolls only have to change one character in the
> subject to avoid your filter.

Would any moderator be brainless enough to do that ;) ?
Off-topic and offensive subjects can be locked safely (and off topic
threads moved to sounder). Anyway, is there really a need to lock a
thread for more than a few weeks (enough for the discussion to move to
the relevant mailing list)?
Threads like "The future of Ubuntu Linux.... Will it make Micro$oft go
bankrupt?" would fit Sounder perfectly, and locking them on ubuntu-users
would hardly prevent anyone to get the support they're looking for.

We get a huge amount of mails just including those off-topic and
offensive subjects, I'd welcome anything done to keep the list on topic
and preserve its usefulness.

As for changing one character to a subject, isn't that asking to be banned?

There's always threads that start on a good subject but degenerate.
Grey-listing has been proposed, I guess it would depend on the amount of
time moderators have. Technically, nothing would prevent blocking (or
"grey-listing")replies to one particular offensive mail, while other
mails in the topic could be replied for (off course, some mails readers
could mess that up without the user's will.) I'm aware when talking
about "grey-listing" it's been proposed to grey-list users, not replies
to a thread, but both can be tried (and that's not my call).

Even if no solution is offered for threads that have a good subject but
go awry, there's still the Ubuntu Code of Conduct. If it is enforced on
a consistent basis, regulars would soon get in the habit not to disgrace
the community - and regulars have been the ones that pollute the list
the most.

Threads that have an on-topic start, then get off-topic are far less a
problem than threads that fail to respect the CoC. Moderators don't have
to be control freaks, and dealing with offensive mails, dealing
considerately with common mistakes and if possible moving off-topic
threads (=when the subject and the first mail is already off-topic),
that would already be work than one could hope for ;)

Loïc