Visually Impaired List Members

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Sun May 10 12:29:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009 09:55:35 +0000 (UTC)
Aart Koelewijn <aart at mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> My newsreader
> (Pan) has the possibility to "Mute quoted text". With this, all
> properly quoted text will be replaced by one line which states that
> there was quoted text at this place. This text can also easely be
> "unfolded". This seems to be exactly what is wanted.
[snipped]

So the question is that is this a desirable solution to Lorenzo's
situation?  And if so, will it stop even "muted" text being read by a
screen reader?  If so, can it be implemented in the majority of email
programs (MUAs) in Gnome, KDE and Xfce?

I agree with Lorenzo that we could all "snip" more, but given that,
there seems to be a slight mismatch with Lorenzo's screen reader and
the amount of text his MUA directs to be read.

For myself I prefer Claws-Mail as my MUA and with that I can close all
quotes, or from just level 2, or from just level 3, and then unfold
them again but I'm not sure if the screen reader will read the quotes
anyway (since I don't use one, and I'm not sure which one is used by
Lorenzo).

I shall raise this issue on the Claws-Mail and Pan-users lists to
enquire whether anybody has any experience of screen reader reading
muted text, but it seems it might just be a matter of referring Lorenzo
to use another MUA or Pan.

--

Graham Todd