Update Manager 'Distribution updates'

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Sat May 9 17:33:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 1:47 AM, Steven Susbauer <steven at too1337.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 May 2009 16:12:24 -0500, Steve Flynn
> <anothermindbomb at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Frankly, offering (obviously) untested commands prefixed with sudo to
>> other users on this list is something I cannot abide. The potential
>> for make a complete mess of someone elses machine is astronomical.
>>
>> Then again, Karl is often so far off base with his "advice" it doesn't
>> come as a great surprise.
>
> The command was obviously meant to be aptitude (the package manager) and
> not evolution (the mail client). They are, as mentioned, completely
> unrelated and should be an obvious mistake ("Why would I use a mail
> program to work with packages?"/"Why would I use an eggplant to cut down a
> tree?"), especially if you have ever run aptitude (or apt-get, the same
> syntax works with either). Should sudo commands be tested? Of course, and
> anybody should be testing or researching any commands they are given on
> here because in the end *they* are responsible for broken systems, bad
> advice (or typos) or not. In any case, this particular command is not
> dangerous, just does not fix the problem.

I'm well aware of what he meant (as I suspect was the OP). The problem
is that offering advice on this list caries a degree of responsibility
- at the very least you should be testing the commands you offer up,
especially if you're advocating someone (perhaps a newbie) runs it
with root permissions.

> Lets keep the personal comments out of it, all that was needed was a quick
> correction (as Karl himself provided within 10 minutes of your snide
> commentary).

There wasn't any personal commentary - just an accurate description of
his astoundingly off-the-mark advice given to people.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0