pci=, kernel commands, and nvidia

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 16:15:58 UTC 2009

    The question asking what is pci=nomsi and all the Google non-help
reminds me of the early days of Linux with Slakware and Fedora versions.
I do not recall using any kernel modifiers with Ubuntu, a real plus!

    But with my nvidia computers and the problems with getting video to
work there were some tricks you could do kernel modifiers. I recall
people with advice that a certain pci=xzy right at the kernel listing in
grub would do the thing before init ever gets to /etc/rc.local which it
appears was important then.

    I saw on Google that most comments on pci=nomsi are directed at
Fedora users. I guess that Fedora is using these kernel commands written
right on the line of the kernel in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file even today.

Karl