Inappropriate tone on this mailing list and requirement for governance

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 19:43:54 UTC 2009

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> in the end you will need a piece of (virtual) paper that (at least
> roughly) sets the rules and responsibilities for an admin team (so it
> doesnt turn into a net police), i found it an excellent base to start
> from ... making clear that for trivial mistakes no action should be
> taken
Thanks. The IRC Team Operator Guidelines link you posted when opening
the topic [1] also contains good practice advices, which can probably
apply on Ubuntu mailing list moderators too.

> (i.e. for point 1.: a rule that admins dont take action on top posters
> on list but educate them in private will quieten down the traffic a lot
> here ...
Yes, that's actually a curtsey to subscribers of ubuntu-users. In any
other list it might be ok to do that in-list, because you'd only see
that a few times a year, but in ubuntu-users it has proven to become
obnoxious to some.

> for 2.: you can indeed not easily move a thread from one list to
> another, but an admin can kindly point the poster into the right
> direction (again in private to reduce useless traffic here) ... etc etc)
>
> ignoring the techinical issues here i think its a great start for a set
> of points for an "admin team guide"

I'm not sure what prevents a thread to be locked on ubuntu-users while
the moderator's message is also sent to the relevant mailing list
(quoting at least the first message for reference, of course). Do you
think the description of "locked" I attempted in my reply to Rez [2]
would be technically hard to do?

Loïc

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/OperatorGuidelines
[2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-May/183806.html