Wubi seems stuck during download

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 8 01:16:16 UTC 2009

On 05/07/2009 05:41 PM, Ashley Benton wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 7:08 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> It should have restored the MBR - you might want to file a bug report:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi
>>
>> In the interim, just have your son restore the MBR (fixmbr), or set grub
>> to default to the Win install and shorten the grub menu delay to 1 sec
>> so that it just boots straight into Win.
>>
>> Other info:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
>>

> I will have a look for education but won't fill a bug report (my son being
> only 11 uninstalled by himself. I know he is better than I am with Windows
> but I didn't see and read anything during the uninstall.

He sounds like a pretty smart guy!

I have no idea how
> to fix Windows boot but I will look to shorten the time for the computer to
> boot into windows faster.

On Ubuntu you can install startup-manager; after install it will appear
in the System|Administration|StartUp-Manager & from there you can select
Win as the default boot, shorten the menu pause etc. If you are dual
booting, then perhaps set it to 5 seconds so that he/you at least have
time to hit Esc or arrow key to select Ubuntu when you wish to boot to that.

In the meantime he installed Ubuntu in its own
> partition. I just had to manually install Ubuntu over the uninstalled Ubuntu
> [the partition was still here] and everything is working. (He is telling me
> that first he has the choice between Windows and Ubuntu [certainly from the
> second installation as Ubuntu is working]  then if he selects Windows he
> again have a choice between windows and ubuntu [which I guessed has been
> uninstalled] )

Doesn't appear to be if he is still getting the second grub prompt. What
I'd recommend doing is reinstalling via Wubi (be sure to read the FAQ etc:

http://wubi-installer.org/
  http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

and then uninstall again. It's been awhile since I've installed a Wubi,
so I can't recall the file structure or where the Win grub file is
located, but a search in Win Explorer might turn up the file/directory.

That only seems complicated and doesn't disturb him as he
> knows which one is working and is happy like it is. Oh and anyway he
> reinstalled Windows without antivirus so I guess the reinstallation won't
> last one month if he leave it this way.

*Please* ensure that he has both an AV *and* a firewall (via router, or
at the very minimum via software) when he is running Windows. It takes
about 5 seconds for his machine to be turned into a bot.

As there is nothing in the computer
> that is not a problem, just a learning curve. I guess he is not really
> interested in security yet or he would have done something or ask..

He *should* be & now is the best time for him to learn. If you need
further assistance feel free to contact me directly off-list.

> Thanks for the help
>
> Meg

Thanks for persevering; seems that you, and your son have come a long
way w/Ubuntu since 2007 :-)

Note: for MBR information, google:
http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=restore+mbr&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?q=fixmbr&btnG=Search&complete=0&hl=en&sa=2