Inappropriate tone on this mailing list and requirement for governance

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 6 13:28:35 UTC 2009

Res wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2009, M. Fioretti wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 06, 2009 08:32:18 AM -0300, Ashley Benton wrote:
>>
>>> I find it sad that this had to come to this point because some
>>> people could not behave and nobody seems able to just ignore them
>> The problem with ignoring such people is that they still scare away
>> **newcomers**. That's why trolls should be stopped, asap, and the only
>
> as do long time list members trying to play net nazi.
> they do more damage by intimidating newbies then any other.

thats just your opinion, and of course you are entitled to it. I don't
agree though.

For me, as long as the moderation is at a level that only removes
completely offensive and inappropriate posts (such as repeated rude
language, name calling etc.) then I'm happy with it. I wouldn't want
moderation to go as far as removing posts simply for being a little OT...

Of course, any level of moderation implies someone somewhere making a
judgment call, and you may well object to that in principle, in which
case I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

I for hope some sort of moderation does come to this list.

Chris