ubuntu jaunty seized up

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:49:12 UTC 2009

>>  Are all
>> your fans spinning like they should be?

> all except 1. there is nvidia graphics card whose fan fell apart. it's
> been working without a fan for about half-a-year though. there haven't
> been any crashes on freebsd or debian though the latter has experienced
> slowdowns. never a problem on freebsd, but i ran with the minimal dwm
> there. ubuntu has been running faster and better than debian, which
> came as total surprise to me.

That's interesting.  By chance are you now using the proprietary
drivers and/or compiz and you weren't under debian/freebsd?  e.g. you
are working the card harder now doing 3d stuff it wasn't doing
before...  Just a thought.  I mean, nvidia wouldn't put a fan on it
unless they had to - those things cost money :-)

Brian

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false