I'm Building a $200 Linux Desktop

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 23:40:35 UTC 2009

I plan on building a machine specifically for Ubuntu.  After talking
about it with the members of my Ubuntu users group online I came up
this configuration which I could easily build for just over $200.
They tell me the specs I've selected are excellent for an Ubuntu
system, so I wanted to share this with everyone else who might be
interested in doing the same thing.  The plan calls for buying some
parts and recycling parts from an existing system.

Here are the purchased components:
* $49 APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power
Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154091&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Cases+(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-APEX+(SUPERCASE/ALLIED)-_-11154091

* $81 Intel BOXD945GCLF2 (2GHz dual core) Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini
ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboard+/+CPU+/+VGA+Sets-_-Intel-_-13121359

* $41.99 Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Hard+Drives-_-Western+Digital-_-22136075

* $19.99 Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop
Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134192&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-Kingston+Technology-_-20134192

Parts you'd recycle from your old Ubuntu PC:
* IDE DVD-RW Drive
* USB Keyboard and Mouse
* Monitor

--