I'm Building a $200 Linux Desktop

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Mar 31 23:57:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:40:35 -0400
Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I plan on building a machine specifically for Ubuntu.  After talking
> about it with the members of my Ubuntu users group online I came up
> this configuration which I could easily build for just over $200.
> They tell me the specs I've selected are excellent for an Ubuntu
> system, so I wanted to share this with everyone else who might be
> interested in doing the same thing.  The plan calls for buying some
> parts and recycling parts from an existing system.
>
> Here are the purchased components:
> * $49 APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power
> Supply -
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154091&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Cases+(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-APEX+(SUPERCASE/ALLIED)-_-11154091
>
> * $81 Intel BOXD945GCLF2 (2GHz dual core) Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini
> ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo -
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboard+/+CPU+/+VGA+Sets-_-Intel-_-13121359
>
> * $41.99 Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
> SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Hard+Drives-_-Western+Digital-_-22136075
>
> * $19.99 Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop
> Memory -
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134192&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-Kingston+Technology-_-20134192
>
> Parts you'd recycle from your old Ubuntu PC:
> * IDE DVD-RW Drive
> * USB Keyboard and Mouse
> * Monitor

Thanks for sharing this. You don't show what the video will be, but if
that is Intel 945 video also, you may want to take a look at the
release notes for Jaunty, which is showing issues withe the intel video
now. Hopefully, it can be fixed before the final release, but it has
not been yet.

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/beta

Good luck,

--