Ubuntu Server and VIA C3 (particularly: Nemiah)

grandcross dcarter at entertain-me.com
Sun Mar 29 20:54:53 UTC 2009

This got 8.04 LTS working for me...

    * Install from CD
          o Notice that the reboot fails to load the kernel
    * Boot from CD and enter recover mode
          o Launch a shell on the root partition
          o apt-get install linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic. This replaces the
server kernel with one that will boot on the VIA processor.
          o Edit the grub menu.lst
                + Remove all the references to the server kernel
          o Remove all files ending in -server from the /boot directory.
This will prevent them from being accidentally added in future.
    * Reboot
    * Run apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.24-19-server. This will prevent
accidentally upgrading to a bad kernel.